Wednesday, August 8, 2012

When the cows came home

Well.  They're here.

Meet the Jerseys.  The two mama cows in the back are our milk producers. We've been getting about 6 gallons of milk per day from them.  The two bull calves up front are just a couple of weeks old.  The one on the right will be a breeding bull.  See how his eyes are wide-set and you can see lots of white around his eyes?  That means he'll be an assertive, if not aggressive, bull.  At least that's what my Dad used to tell me.



 This little guy was a little scared to come out, so Dan had to help...



They have to be bucket fed milk for a while, so they had to go into a stall in the barn.  They didn't want to.  It was a close match, but eventually Dan won.



Then the Angus arrived.  Actually, the little bull calf in front is an Angus/Highland mix.  I call it an Angland.  I suppose it could be a Highgus too, but that just sounds silly.  See Mama behind the baby?  She's large and not particularly happy at the moment...



After coming out of the trailer, they promptly got as far away from us as they could.  As in over the hill and down the pasture. 


Dan assures me they're still on our property, although I've only caught a glimpse of them once since they arrived  Of course, I'd likely see them more if I actually went in the pasture instead of looking from the garage door.  I'll get around to that one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment