Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Six rototillers!

If you've ever wanted loose, airy soil to plant your flowers in, you don't need to get a rototiller.  You just need to get chickens.  There is one small drawback.  After you've planted your flowers, your chickens will continue to rototill and very shortly you will have no flowers left!


Last spring/summer, I had some beautiful begonia's and peony's in this bed.  By late summer, the rototillers discovered they liked eating my flowers.  About 1 day later, they were all gone.  I wasn't too heart broken - at least I had enjoyed them all summer long.  And, I still had 6 Purple Coral Bells in this bed.  Since they're perennials, I would have even bigger plants come next spring. 

Take a closer look at the picture.  Do you see any Purple Coral Bells?  No. Thanks to the rototillers scratching and pecking away at them all winter long.  I have multiple plant beds around the house and they have all had the same fate.  Well, one exception.  I do have a hanging planter that the chickens haven't figure out how to fly up into yet.  Just give them time though!

No comments:

Post a Comment