Sunday, February 21, 2010

Say Cheese!

1 gallon of whole milk.  Check.
1/2 cup lemon juice.  Check.
Muslin.  Check.

What will this make you ask?  CHEESE!  Yup, today was our first cheese making experience.  What else do you need in order to make cheese?  You guessed it, a book!  For Christmas I gave Dan 'Home Cheese Making' so we looked through the basic cheese recipes and decided on Panir.  The book says Panir is an Indian cheese, one of the simplest types of unripened cheese, is mild and readily absorbs the flavors of the herbs and spices.  Sounds good to me!

Step 1 - bring milk to a boil
Step 2 - drizzle in lemon juice
Step 3 - remove from heat and stir until curds form and let set for 10 min
Step 4 - laddle curds into a colander lined with muslin.
Step 5 - let drain for 2-3 hours
Step 5 - eat or store cheese.

It wasn't exactly what I was envisioning.  I was thinking of a nice soft cheese to be eaten with crackers.  It's more of a feta consistency though and has very little taste.  I'm not exactly sure what I thought it would taste like considering the only ingredients are milk and lemon juice.  Dan has been eating it on his salads and enjoys it a great deal.  I don't really care for it.  The good thing about making foods at home is that you can try, try again!






No comments:

Post a Comment