Friday, May 2, 2014

Fun Day at the Airport

There's a little regional airport that my parents used to take me to when I was a kid.  It has a single runway and you can walk right up to the action.  I've taken Samuel there several times, but there's never been anything going on.  One day Samuel, Evie and I were out shopping and I noticed lots of small planes buzzing around so I decided to try again.  JACKPOT!  The airport has hosting a skydiving class.  Planes, a helicopter and skydivers parachuting were all over the place!  We watched plane after plane take off and land about 30 yards in front of us.


Then we had a helicopter land in the grass right in front of us.  We watched the action for about 45 minutes and were getting ready to leave, but since it's a 45 minute drive home I figured Samuel should go potty.  I tentatively went into the tiny airport office to ask if they had a restroom, and they did.  Again, we were set to leave.  An airport member/volunteer started chatting with Samuel and Evie asking if they were having fun.  He then offered to give us a tour of the hanger behind the airport.  The kids got to see 6 airplanes up close....


And got to sit in one (although Evie barely sat in it long enough for me to snap a picture, thus her not-so-happy face)...


The volunteer pointed out all the different plane parts, showed us engines, etc.  It was fun for me too!  In the end, we ended up spending about an hour and 20 minutes there.  What a great free afternoon!  Samuel was so excited to see all of this going on.  I shot this video with my cell phone right after the helicopter landed; I think it's so adorable.  Clarification... in the video when we talks about pro-pellers, he's referring to helicopter rotors.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment