Thursday, September 22, 2011

Homemade Coffee Creamer

During summer, I like nothing more than a nice, cold iced coffee.  I make a huge batch of coffee concentrate and keep it in the fridge to keep me in good supply.

However, I love fall.  And with the weather turning cool, it's time to switch back to hot coffee.  I love drinking it, smelling it and curling up on the couch with a mug to keep my hands warm.  But I'm not a true coffee connoisseur, I suppose, because I like flavored coffee.  Vanilla, almond, cinnamon... they're all good in my book.  On the supermarket shelves, you can find liquid coffee creamer in just about every imaginable flavor, but they're expensive and if you look at the ingredients, it's kind of scary.  It contains mostly things I can't pronounce and if I can't pronounce it, I probably shouldn't be ingesting it. Dan calls it "chemical creamer", which is probably more fitting.  So, what's a girl to do?  Make it from scratch, of course!

Here is a super easy recipe to make thick, creamy coffee creamer from scratch in whatever flavor tickles your fancy.


Base Recipe for Liquid Coffee Creamer

14 oz. Sweetened Condensed Milk (fat free works too!)
14 oz. Milk (whatever you have on hand)
Stir well to combine

After you make the base, add your flavorings and stir again.  Below are a few different options...


Vanilla
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
 
Almond
2 teaspoons almond extract

 Chocolate Almond
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon almond extract

 Cappuccino
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon orange extract

Strudel
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract

Chocolate Raspberry
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
2 tablespoons raspberry syrup


Just wander through the extracts and flavored syrups in the baking aisle and you'll be able to come up with your own combinations!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment