Thursday, June 17, 2010

Baby bunnies!!!

We've been expecting doe #1 to kindle her babies any day now.  Yesterday she started pulling fur in preparation of her delivery.  However, this morning we still had no babies.  I went back out to check around 9:30 and we had little, pink, fuzzy balls in the nest box. 

I ran back in the house and grabbed my Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits book to see if there was anything I needed to do.  The book said now is the time to give momma a treat.  I ran inside and grabbed a carrot and gave it to her.  She immediately started munching.  The book says while momma is preoccupied with her snack, you can move the box to see how many babies you have (but don't touch them with your fingers so you don't leave your scent on them).  I nudged around and counted 8 babies, which is perfect because that's how many teats momma has.  Then the book said if momma didn't cover the babies with the fur she pulled to do it for her so the babies stay warm. She didn't very well, so I covered them up. Lastly, it says momma needs lots of peace and quiet, so I'm trying to stay away to give them some privacy.  I've checked on them a few times today and each time momma is laying outside the box.  I'm afraid she hasn't nursed them, or isn't sure what to do.  The little babies are active though.  Eyes closed, they are crawling over each other.  It's nearly 100 degrees heat index outside, so Dan thinks momma might be staying out to keep them from getting too hot.  We'll just have to let nature take it's course.

Momma preoccupied with her carrot...


Close-up of babies...

No comments:

Post a Comment